Wednesday, January 02, 2008

anytime a plan to write something epic and meaningful my brain starts to go 400 miles a minutes and i can't get anything out. i've been writing a top albums/happings/best of 2007 for about 3 weeks and all i've accomplished is a headache. so forget it. i'm leaving the legitimate tops and recaps to the likes of Parker and company. I'm going to awards style. get into it...


firstxcrush.blogspot is PROUD to present: the 2007 ERICA awards!!


CATAGORY: HUMAN

CHOICE MALE: JESSE MACK JOHNSON! seriously? that guy? i wouldn't even know what that dude looked like!?! i consider myself pretty lucky that i actually like my roommate's boyfriend. oh wait, rewind that. he's actually one of my favorite humans. EVER. not only did i get to drink beer and shoot virtual deer with him, but he also introduced me to a slew of rad people whom i feel honored to now call my friends. he's the best roommate ever (when not rawking le globe) and i'm BEYOND stoked that him and jessica found each other. BARFTIME rolls on. honorable mentions: rob hitt, jonah bayer

CHOICE FEMALE: TWINNY! (aka: Becca) there are no words for this one. we became besties in a day. seriously, one day. her dog now thinks i'm his grandmother and she's probally spent more nights at my apartment in brooklyn in the past 6 months than in her own house. did i mention that we fall asleep holding hands on a semi-regular basis? oh, we do. there are just some people in the world that are meant to be friends and becca and i are two of those people. i'm going to stop now before i start crying or something equally as lame, but seriously i love her. twinny snack packs are for life. honorable mention: lauren lachs (aka: my little)

BIG MAN ON CAMPUS: CHRIS BLACK! he kept buzznet on it's toes with photographic documentation of his jet set life, and kept my mailbox full of his top notch promo material all year. (big ups to the u.s. postal service!) rumor has it he's making the move to NYC soon and 08 promises big things. we are in talks to run for mayor and first lady of Brooklyn under the slogan "believe the hype".... GET AMP'D BK! honorable mention: gabe saporta

BREAKOUT HIPSTER: MONSTER! yes he's a dog, but he possess all the traits of a classic hipster boy. the shaggy mop top, patchy facial hair, charming eyes and he will try to make out with any cute girl how rubs his belly. i've seen this puppy in a headband and he was born to be an american apparel model. honorable mentions: hey kerri, byrnn foley

EXTRACURRICULAR AVTIVITY OF THE YEAR: FUN CLUB!
JAILBAIT HEARTTHROB: ZAC EFRON!
CHOICE LIFE RUINER (human divison): THE WALRUS
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR (human divison): KEANU! honorable mention: Stoltz

CATEGORY: MUSIC:

CHOICE ALBUM : MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK: EVEN IF IT KILLS ME: honestly I would have been in love with this record regardless, but because of events that transpired in 07 i can proudly say it's definitely my album of the year. musically and nostalgically it's just the definition of the past 12 months. oh and, my mom owes a copy and i'm pretty sure she hasn't bought a cd in 10 years. i think that's all i really need to say. best EIIKM related moment: "THIS IS F'ORIELS!", and fist pumping with El Adam on his birthday

other albums i enjoyed this year: tegan and sara: the con : kanye west: graduation, fall out boy: infinity on high, amy whinehouse: back in black

RADDEST FRESHMAN : FOUR YEAR STRONG: Rise or Die Trying is one of my top 3 albums of th year and they have a live show that will melt your face into oblivion. I was totally blown away by FYS 07 and relized I've spent too much time listening to POPPY pop punk, in the past year and almost forgot how good ROCK is. it was refreshing to know that DUDES still go to shows and kick each other in the face with their converse sneakers. Rise or Die Trying is definitely an album i plan on rocking far in 08. stand out jams: wrecked em? damn near killed em? bada bing! with a pipe!

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR (music division): THE 90s! i don't know if this is universal trend, but if you know me, rob and dimitry we probably DJ the soundtrack to your life and by now you are on our 90s bandwagon. official throwback anthem of 07: whitney houston: i want to dance with somebody

BREAK OUT ANTHEM!! PARTY IN YOUR BEDROOM: THE CONSEQUENCE. hype machine says what? "Party in Your Bedroom is the new Discotech" – Me, September 19th, 2007. the number of times I've said "this is your new favorite song" or "this is your new favorite band" has been a little ridiculous, but it's all working out a guess. expect BIG things from the consequence next year. and expect continue play of this song at AK til it makes our ears bleed

BIGGEST GUILTY PLEASURE: COBRA STARSHIP: !VIVA LA COBRA! embarrassment be damned! i like this album! i don't give a shit! in fact i don't even want to have to explain this to you. i like neon colored, dance jams,!! I LIKE COBRA STARSHIP! DEAL! (oof. i just said that out loud) my major issue is that the music isn't pushed nearly far enough,( if it's going to be redic it needs to go 200% off the deep end) and half the album sounds like Midtown C-Sides (ahem, "the world has it's shine"? yikes!) but the "good" songs are clearly laced with crack and i can't stop listening. highly addictive tunes: guilty pleasure, the city is at war, damn you look good and i'm drunk!

BEST REASON TO KEEP LIVING (music division): ENDEVERAFTER. I harbor an intense love all of things classic rock and I'm constantly disappointed that I missed so many great rock and metal (hair?) bands at the peak of their career. I'd give anything to experience a Def Leppard concert in 1983. Reunion tours and aging rockers bum me out to no end BUT now I have Endeverafter! groupie worthy jam: road to destruction, poison, all night long

CHOICE LIFE RUINER (music division): THE PLAIN WHITE T'S: HEY THERE DELILAH. this song makes me want kill myself on a daily basis. i've walked out of movie theaters and hung up on people's "ringbacks" because it. i hope it chokes on itself.

BEST LYRICS WRITTEN FOR ME: THE SWEET ESCAPE: GWEN STEFANI ft AKON: officially my jam. i play it all the time, it gets played for me all the time. think about it. honorable mention: wasted, the donnas


CATEGORY: "MISC"

MIND NUMBING TREND: LOLCATS: it's love/hate. before this internet trend i may have had a semi decent vocabulary and a firm grim on proper English. and now? i am a blubbering idiot who says things like "do want!", " i are tired cat" and "i poop rainbows". however they have provided me with hours of laughter. and for that...i salute you LOLcat.

MOST UNFORTUNATE DEATH: PRIVATE MEN'S CLUB: this was simply an epic party. i'm a sad this doesn't exist in the same fashion anymore, getting dressed up was fun, and i do kind of miss the rat hole is black and white but i think it's 'death' was fitting. that was definitely a period in my life that needed to come to a close. free rum & cokes and cab rides home...signed, sealed, delivered. honorable mention: the rise and fall of Revolver

REASON TO KEEP LIVING (event division): MIDTOWN REUNION: !?!?!


other stuff that ruled in 07:

CURBSIDE!
walls
my GOLD blackberry curve
Trainwreck
DJing
High Voltage
the party Winter 07
"honest to blog"
food babies
Team Geah!
S4L and the "original" crew
all the AMAZING new people i've met
becoming besties with Bonnie Jane again
the fun stuff i designed
living in Bushwick (and everyone moving here)
new england sports

and you...



big in 08:

new albums from:
Monty Are I
Valencia
The Matches
No Doubt



being sans Walrus
new season of LOST
a SKA revival
52 inches of High Def fish tank
adult treehouse apartment
my 25th birthday
and....a new job? (someday)






9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to comment on how much I agree with your "REASON TO KEEP LIVING." (and I didn't get that Midtown reunion for Christmas like I wanted. bullshit! I'm totally converting to Judaism)
-Anna

January 02, 2008 1:14 PM  
Blogger jessica maria said...

01. we mainly do barftime just for you.

02. lol @ breakout hipster.

03. COMEBACK OF THE YEAR (HUMAN DIVISION) = BETTER THAN I EXPECTED. Keanuuuuuuuu. Fuck, I forgot he wrote me a letter about the new year...

04. "deliah" / "delilah", whatever, take out a syllable. it's not like you haven't heard that song every day for the last four years, right?

05. taking a look at your later list, i think curbside could beat the sox and team geah could take on brady & the pats, no? also: mental image of you, me, and jesse on a field vs the patriots.

06. i pretty much think of no doubt's next album every day. i. am. stoked.

07. i've made another fucking list. fuck you.

January 02, 2008 1:48 PM  
Blogger The Dagger said...

anna: i should have said "best reason to keep living well" right? HA.

parker: shut it.

January 02, 2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger xoxo, b said...

I am honored and accept the award with pride (I almost started crying). Monster says he's too hip to accept an award for being hip (in true hipster fashion).

January 02, 2008 4:50 PM  
Blogger MEIK! said...

my mom seriously called me new years day asking what band the guy who performed "delilah" was from on dick clark's new year's. I think i left her a 10 minute message telling her the difference between the 2 album versions.

January 03, 2008 2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that you have divisions. aka "human division," "music division"...hysterical

January 03, 2008 10:00 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dillard said...

I made the cut! Which makes my life worth living! Can't believe I ever could make it with out you - infinite x's and o's pro vida ...

I would rock some serious damage to the crowd at a midtown reunion - no lies.

January 03, 2008 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good call on the whitney track. it is a classic.

January 04, 2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger xoxo, b said...

PS, LOST starts in like...3 weeks. 1/31/08, baby.

January 04, 2008 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home